by Melissa Giroux | Last updated Mar 31, 2022 | Quotes, Travel Tips
Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert is one of the best travel books out there. It’s no secret – many travelers decided to go on a trip after reading this book or watching the movie.
Eat, Pray, Love is an inspiration for those who want to go discover more about themselves abroad.
If you haven’t read the book yet, you can grab your copy here.
Without further ado, let’s take a look at the best Eat Pray Love quotes so you can embrace your best self.
Quotes from Eat Pray Love
- “Your treasure – your perfection – is within you already. But to claim it, you must leave the busy commotion of the mind, abandon the desires of the ego, and enter into the silence of the heart.”
- “You are, after all, what you think. Your emotions are the slaves to your thoughts, and you are the slave to your emotions.”
- “We don’t realize that, somewhere within us all, there does exist a supreme self who is eternally at peace.”
- “You need to learn how to select your thoughts just the same way you select your clothes every day. This is a power you can cultivate. If you want to control things in your life so bad, work on the mind. That’s the only thing you should be trying to control.”
- “If you can plant yourself in stillness long enough, you will, in time, experience the truth that everything (both uncomfortable and lovely) does eventually pass.”
- “Deep grief sometimes is almost like a specific location, a coordinate on a map of time. When you are standing in that forest of sorrow, you cannot imagine that you could ever find your way to a better place. But if someone can assure you that they themselves have stood in that same place and now have moved on, sometimes this will bring hope.”
- “When I get lonely these days, I think: So BE lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person’s body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.”
- “The resting place of the mind is the heart. The only thing the mind hears all day is clanging bells and noise and argument, and all it wants is quietude. The only place the mind will ever find peace is inside the silence of the heart. That’s where you need to go.”
- “Do not apologize for crying. Without this emotion, we are only robots.”
- “There’s a crack (or cracks) in everyone…that’s how the light of God gets in.”
- “The Bhagavad Gita–that ancient Indian Yogic text–says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else’s life with perfection.”
- “Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel around the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it.”
- “Love is always complicated. But humans must try to love each other. We must get our hearts broken sometimes. This is a good sign, having a broken heart. It means we have tried for something.”
- “In the end, though, maybe we must all give up trying to pay back the people in this world who sustain our lives. In the end, maybe it’s wiser to surrender before the miraculous scope of human generosity and to just keep saying thank you, forever and sincerely, for as long as we have voices.”
- “You need to learn how to select your thoughts just the same way you select what clothes you’re gonna wear every day. This is a power you can cultivate. If you want to control things in your life so bad, work on the mind. That’s the only thing you should be trying to control. Drop everything else but that. Because if you can’t learn to master your thinking, you’re in deep trouble forever.”
- “People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that’s what everyone wants. But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that is holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention so you can change your life.”
- “A soul mate’s purpose is to shake you up, tear apart your ego a little bit, show you your obstacles and addictions, break your heart open so new light can get in, make you so desperate and out of control that you have to transform your life, then introduce you to your spiritual master…”
- “At some point, you gotta let go, and sit still, and allow contentment to come to you.”
- “Ruin is a gift. Ruin is the road to transformation.”
- “To lose balance sometimes for love is part of living a balanced life.”
- “The only thing more unthinkable than leaving was staying; the only thing more impossible than staying was leaving.”
- “In desperate love, we always invent the characters of our partners, demanding they be what we need of them, and then feeling devastated when they refuse to perform the role we created in the first place.”
- “To find the balance you want, this is what you must become. You must keep your feet grounded so firmly on the earth that it’s like you have 4 legs instead of 2. That way, you can stay in the world. But you must stop looking at the world through your head. You must look through your heart, instead. That way, you will know God.”
- “I have a history of making decisions very quickly about men. I have always fallen in love fast and without measuring risks. I have a tendency not only to see the best in everyone but to assume that everyone is emotionally capable of reaching his highest potential. I have fallen in love more times than I care to count with the highest potential of a man, rather than with the man himself, and I have hung on to the relationship for a long time (sometimes far too long), waiting for the man to ascend to his own greatness. Many times in romance, I have been a victim of my own optimism.”
- “It’s easy enough to pray when you’re in distress, but continuing to pray even when your crisis has passed is like a sealing process, helping your soul hold tight to its good attainment.”
Final Thoughts On Eat Pray Love Quotes
We hope you got a big dose of inspiration when reading these beautiful quotes from Eat Pray Love film.
If you wish to read more inspiring content, here are a few recommended reads:
- How to manifest anything overnight
- Fresh start quotes
- Best quotes for wild women
☑ Book your flight: Who said you won’t be able to find cheap flights? My top saving tip is flexibility. If you're flexible, you should be able to find a cheaper flight. Check out Skyscanner or Google Flights for the hottest deals.
☑ Book your accommodation: Want the comfort of being at home or the luxury of a hotel? I love using Vrbo and Booking.com for those very reasons. If you're a solo traveler, Hostelworld offers a wide variety of hostels you should take a look at. Alternatively, if you're a budget traveler, sign up for Worldpackers to get FREE accommodation in exchange for work.
☑ Rent a car: Make your trip more comfortable by renting a car with Rentalcars or DiscoverCars.com. Both tools allow you to compare car rentals around the world.
☑ Stay safe: Travel mishaps happen – so, better be safe than sorry by covering your back with travel medical insurance. I would suggest SafetyWing as they offer the best rates, especially for long-term travelers. I'd also suggest you take a look at World Nomads.
☑ Pack the essentials: Universal charger, check; power bank, check; passport, check! What else could you forget? I've put together this ultimate packing list just for you!
☑ Do you need a visa? If you aren't sure if you need a visa, it’s highly recommended for you to double-check. You can use iVisa - it's super useful and easy to use.
Disclaimer: This post may include affiliate links. If you click one of them, we may receive a commission at no extra cost to you.
MY TOP RECOMMENDATIONS
What is a soulmate Eat Pray Love? ›
"People think a soul mate is your perfect fit, and that's what everyone wants," she writes in Eat, Pray, Love. "But a true soul mate is a mirror, the person who shows you everything that's holding you back, the person who brings you to your own attention." Still, you might not always want to marry that person.What is the plot of Eat Pray Love? ›
Eat Pray Love is based on a true story
The film is based on a memoir of the same name by American journalist Elizabeth Gilbert. Gilbert funded her trip with a $200,000 advance she received from her publisher, set out on her trip, and then recounted the events in the book (via Refinery29).
Quotes. Liz Gilbert : In the end, I've come to believe in something I call "The Physics of the Quest." A force in nature governed by laws as real as the laws of gravity.What are the 5 soul mates? ›
These are friend soulmate, teacher soulmate, karmic soulmate, twin flame and past life soulmate. Read on to know about these five types of soulmates and what purpose they serve in our life.What is a true soulmate? ›
According to Dr. Michael Tobin, a soulmate is someone who you feel deeply connected to, but not in a dependent or needy way. The guiding principle in a relationship between soulmates is that needs are equally met because a soulmate relationship should challenge you to move from selfishness to giving.Why is it called Eat Pray Love? ›
She spent four months in Italy, eating and enjoying life ("Eat"). She spent three months in India, finding her spirituality ("Pray"). She ended the year in Bali, Indonesia, looking for "balance" of the two and fell in love with a Brazilian businessman ("Love"), whom she later married and divorced.What is the word in Eat Pray Love her? ›
At the end of the book, after a satisfying journey of learning to let go of a nasty divorce and love herself again so she can start to love somebody else, Liz decides that her word is, in fact Attraversiamo, an Italian word meaning let's cross over.Is Eat Pray Love about God? ›
When Rachel Shukert set out to write about her own worldwide adventures, she decided to finally read Eat, Pray, Love, and that's when she learned that it's all about Gilbert and her God.How much was Julia Roberts paid for Eat Pray Love? ›
Sony Pictures Entertainment, which will release “Eat Pray Love” (without commas) on Friday, just paid him $2.5 million to write a romantic comedy — with Ms. Roberts — and another $2.5 million to direct it. “I'll do anything Ryan wants,” said Amy Pascal, Sony's co-chairwoman.
Is Elizabeth Gilbert still paralyzed? ›
As the New Yorker reported in 2010, Gilbert was able to walk with help from a walker thanks to extensive rehabilitation, but now, she mostly gets around via wheelchair. While she is no longer investigating wrongful convictions, she does hope to keep writing, even though her injuries have changed the process a bit.Where did she go in Eat Pray Love in Italy? ›
The new scene takes place in one of Naples's most beautiful churches, Pio Monte della Misericordia. While on The Oprah Winfrey Show, Julia Roberts gives insight into her personal connection to Gilbert's story and her experience working on the film.What is the Italian word in Eat Pray Love? ›
It's Italian and according to Wiktionary it means “sweet doing nothing” = “Delicious idleness”. In the movie Eat, Pray, Love its described as the sweetness of doing no…Why did Liz leave her husband in Eat Pray Love? ›
Gilbert separated from her husband of nine years this past spring because of her new feelings for Elias. Gilbert's husband plays a major role in her hit memoir, as the man she falls in love with in Bali at the end of her journey.Who does Liz fall in love with in Eat Pray Love? ›
Just over two months after announcing her separation from Nunes, Gilbert publicly shared on Facebook that she found love again with her best friend of 15 years, Elias. At the time, Elias had already been diagnosed with pancreatic and liver cancer. Who Is Elizabeth Gilbert's New Love Rayya Elias?Do soul mates marry? ›
There is a sense of familiarity and mutuality in a marriage to a soul mate as well as in long-lasting marriages. Soulmate marriages can be healthy, passionate and harmonious. Soulmate partners can easily get a lot done by working together. Couples who are soul mates often take joy in watching the growth of one another.Can a person have 2 soulmates? ›
You can have more than one soulmate.
"You will meet many soulmates in your current lifetime," says Brown. "You only have one twin flame." Whenever you meet someone with whom you have a strong connection, the theory suggests that there's a high chance that they could be a part of your wider soul family.
For humans, biologically speaking, soul mates are entirely real. But just like all relationships, soul mates can be complicated. Of course, there isn't a scientifically agreed-upon definition for “soul mate.” But humans are in a small club in the animal kingdom that can form long-term relationships.Which signs are soulmates? ›
- Perfect soulmates: Virgo, Sagittarius, and Aquarius.
- Perfect soulmates: Cancer, Capricorn, and Scorpio.
- Perfect soulmates: Capricorn, Virgo, and Pisces.
- Perfect soulmates: Libra, Taurus, and Aquarius.
- Perfect soulmates: Virgo, Libra, and Taurus.
- Perfect soulmates: Gemini, Libra, and Aries.
A soulmate can be a friend, a lover, or even a family member, so it's important to let go of the idea that there's necessarily a romantic connection. That being said, they always inspire passion of some sort and nudge you towards fulfilling some aspect of your potential.
What were the 3 countries in Eat, Pray, Love? ›
'Eat, Pray, Love': Finding Pleasure in the World
Sapped of energy. But unlike most folks, she was able to travel the world, restore her spirits and write a book about it all: Eat, Pray, Love. She took four months in three countries -- Italy, India, and Indonesia -- in an attempt to restore her zest for life.
Eat, Pray, Love and India
It was filmed at Hari Mandir Ashram in Pataudi, Haryana, about 40 kilometres from Gurgaon. Julia Roberts reportedly stayed in nearby Pataudi Palace with her three children during the shoot.
The MPAA rated Eat Pray Love PG-13 for brief strong language, some sexual references and male rear nudity.Who started Eat Pray Love? ›
Gilbert began her famous journey around the world 16 years ago. "Eat, Pray, Love" brought Elizabeth Gilbert the kind of fame most authors only dream of. The 2006 memoir followed Gilbert as she soul-searched her way around the world in the emotional aftermath of a difficult divorce.What does it mean eat my words? ›
idiom. to be forced to admit that you were wrong about something: I said he'd never win, but I had to eat my words.Does Eat Pray Love have a happy ending? ›
The Eat Pray Love ending wraps up with Elizabeth in Bali, deciding to be in a relationship with a man named Felipe. Though Elizabeth didn't begin her journey searching for love, she was grateful for everything she'd found.Did God say not to eat? ›
However, one tree in the Garden of Eden bore forbidden fruit, "And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."What is God's favorite thing to eat? ›
"God does not have a favorite food because he doesn't eat because he is always watching over us." It's true God is always watching over us, but he's not trapped by his responsibilities. Jesus took time to enjoy meals with his disciples.Does the Bible tell us to pray over our food? ›
Well, in a nutshell, the Bible doesn't specifically say that we should pray before mealtimes. In fact, Deuteronomy 8:10 encourages us to praise God after a meal: What is this? “When you have eaten and are satisfied, bless (praise) the Lord your God for the good land He has given you.”Who is the highest paid actor? ›
Best-paid actors worldwide as of August 2021, by income (in million U.S. dollars)
|Characteristic||Annual income in million U.S. dollars|
How much would an Eat Pray Love trip cost? ›
Naturally, it is a trip for one. For high-end travelers, there are invitations like this one: "Eat. Pray. Fall in love with Micato Safaris' Inspirational India Tour." Price tag: $19,795.Is Julia Roberts nice? ›
All because she continues to be hailed as one of the nicest, sweetest people to work with. Even behind the scenes, Roberts has had such a reputation among not only her peers but the staff who works for her.Who did Elizabeth Gilbert marry? ›
Elizabeth GilbertDid Elizabeth Gilbert have a baby? ›
Having children. But Gilbert eventually realized something: She didn't want children. And she no longer wanted to be married to her husband. She rejected the path taken by other women in her family, filed for divorce and set about on a solo journey of self-discovery through Italy, India and Indonesia.Is Rayya Elias still alive? › How long was the Eat Pray Love journey? ›
Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love explores simple pleasures and pizza in Italy, devotion in India, and love in Bali, bringing readers with her on a one-year journey of self-discovery and empowerment.Who was Tulsi in Eat Pray Love? ›
Eat Pray Love (2010) - Rushita Singh as Tulsi - IMDb.Who was the Indian girl in Eat Pray Love? ›
Russhita Singh, the Tulsi of 'Eat Pray Love'What do Italians call their love? ›
Amore is the Italian word for “love”, so “my love” is amore mio. There's also another way to use amore and make it “cuter”, by adding the suffix -ino to it: amorino (“little love”).What means Attraversiamo? ›
Attraversiamo (Italian) - “let's cross”.
What is meant by Attraversiamo? ›
If two Italians were walking on one side of the road and saw something appealing on the other side one would say “attraversiamo” which literally means “let's cross over”.What is the theme of the book Eat Pray Love? ›
The theme of Eat, Pray, Love is self-discovering. The story goes around Elizabeth Gilbert, a young woman who is not quite sure of her place in the world. She doesn't feel true happiness and wants something else in her life. Thus, she begins an adventure traveling the world, trying to find what makes her happy.What does Liz learn in Eat Pray Love? ›
In Eat Pray Love, Elizabeth Gilbert travels to Italy, India, and Indonesia. On her journey, Elizabeth Gilbert learned about herself, love, and her connection with her spirituality.What was the moral of the movie Eat Pray Love? ›
You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestations of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it."Does Liz stay with Felipe? ›
As Elizabeth continues to struggle with the concepts of marriage and commitment, her relationship with Felipe nears its end, but they overcome those obstacles and by the end of the movie, they begin a proper, formal relationship.How old is Elizabeth Gilbert? › Is soulmate a spiritual love? ›
Think of them as spiritual sidekicks, people who seemed destined to be in your path so you both, in turn, can give each other love and encouragement when needed to keep going on your earthly odyssey. Don't underestimate the importance of soul mate friends.How do I know my soulmate loves me? ›
- Being with them feels like home. ...
- You balance each other out. ...
- You respect each other's differences, but agree about the important things. ...
- You challenge each other. ...
- You can totally be yourself. ...
- You fight for the relationship.
A soulmate is a person with whom you share a deep emotional connection. Being with them makes you feel loved and cherished. They understand you like no other and love you unconditionally. Your soulmate embraces your flaws and qualities and makes you feel comfortable in your skin.How do you know you've met your soulmate spiritually? ›
- Instant Recognition and Intense Attraction. ...
- Synchronicity. ...
- Intense Emotions. ...
- Amplified Insecurities and Doubts. ...
- Feeling Drawn to the Other Person. ...
- The Relationship Is Turbulent. ...
- You're On Again, Off Again. ...
- You're Inspired to Be a Better Person.
Is soulmate a husband? ›
A soulmate can be a friend, a lover, or even a family member, so it's important to let go of the idea that there's necessarily a romantic connection. That being said, they always inspire passion of some sort and nudge you towards fulfilling some aspect of your potential.What happens when two old souls meet? ›
When old souls meet, one of the first things they experience is a powerful physical attraction for each other. They have this intense, spiritual feeling of connection to their partner from the first moment they see them. This makes both of them feel like they've been looking for each other their entire lives.What is the purpose of an old soul? ›
Often, having an old soul simply means you perceive things in different ways. There's nothing wrong with that. In fact, most people would argue that a unique perspective on life can benefit you and others in your life. Perhaps even the wider world, depending on what you do with your insight.Do soulmates always end up together? ›
Soulmates deeply understand each other and are able to balance out each other because of their strong connection. Soulmates often end up together because they are very compatible.How do I know if someone likes me? ›
- They lean in.
- They tilt their head as you speak (a sign of engagement).
- They smile at you.
- They make eye contact with you.
- They reach out and touch your arm, hand, back, or leg.
Someone who is truly your person will respect that, and will never push you to share more than you want to. They won't need to have total access to your every little thought and feeling just to validate their importance to you. Like, they know how important they are.What does true love feel like? ›
But in a more literal sense, according to experts, true love feels like all the best parts of any great relationship all wrapped up into one. “Being truly in love with someone often feels like having a genuine friendship with the added bonus of ongoing attraction and sexual intimacy,” Dr.How do you know if someone is your twin flame? ›
- sense that you're meeting yourself.
- multiple similarities, sometimes uncanny.
- deep connection.
- desire to grow.
- prioritization of growth over being in a relationship.
- the meeting signifies a major change in your life.
True love is a unique and passionate bond that connects you as a couple that wants the best for the other person regardless of what that means for them. It is the foundation for a healthy, loving relationship. True love is authentic and genuine.How do I know my soulmate by birthday? ›
Basically, the calculation works like this: You take the month and day of your birthday (ex: 07/04) and add that to your mom's birthday. Then, you subtract your dad's birthday from that number. The result is allegedly the month and day on which you'll meet your soulmate.
What happens when you first meet your soulmate? ›
Thus, when you meet your soulmate, you have found someone who balances you, makes you happy, understands you, and wants you just as much as you want them. They also happen to, directly and indirectly, affect your relationship with others. You become social, approachable, and better at connecting to people.